October 24 - Much has occurred

Sorry for the delay - much has happened AND I haven't felt well. I have been in the hospital at Johs Hopkins two times. I left the hospital (the most recent hospitalization) on Sunday, October 21.

The first hospitalization was due to culture negative gram negative septicemia.  At the local ER, I had systolic blood pressures in the 60's!  Up to Johns Hopkins for broad spectrum antibiotic coverage!  Developed atrial fibrillation again then one morning I developed asystole (heart stopped beating) for 5 seconds.  It's funny but I was moving myself up in the bed when it happened.  Things got a little fuzzy around the edges but I never lost consciousness.  Scared the staff who came running in. I went back into normal sinus rhythm after the 5 seconds. After few more days, I went home.

Back in the office now last 2 days after this was tough as I had pleural effusions behind both lungs (fluid collections between the chest wall and the lungs).  I had to take that 'demon' valgancylcovir again for the CMV virus. I went back to my usual routine of the Monday/Thursday trips up to the infusion center at Winchester Medical Center.  Then one Friday (9 days ago) I developed a fever of 100.5 deg F.  After a few calls, we were able to bypass the local ER with associated ambulance ride!

This second hospitalization, was to do two things:
  1. Treat the neutropenic fever (the valgancyclovir set up this fever since it knocked down the ANC (Absolute Neutrophil Count) to zero!  Treat the fever with an IV antibiotic (Cefepime)
  2. Get the excess fluid (including the pleural effusion) out of my system. The IV Lasix was brutal in getting fluid off.
I am so weak (I remember those old ads by the power lifter writing about how "YOU don't have to be that 98 lb weakling on the beach ANYMORE" Hmmm - I think I'll check into it but power lifters are probably long gone).  

Sad news / good news - Sarah our current nurse practitioner is leaving 10/31. Good news is that we will be getting a nurse practitioner, Joanna, whom among her many accomplishments served in Kuwait in the Army during the Afghanistan war.

I will sign off now but wanted to again thank you so much your prayers and support Jan and I on https://www.gofundme.com/trippbradd

May God bless you!

Comments

  1. Hang tough Doc !! Just a "walk in the park"



    Dan Nicholson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying you can feel the strength of all the love that surrounds you and draw on it often.
    You are missed, but your health and healing are the first and most important priority.

    Love,
    Bonnie and Eddie Hoffman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tons of healing energy, hugs and prayers your way..

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best that it can be Trip, prayers my friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Continue to pray for healing and strength.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 28 - Just in - I am going to receive a bone marrow transplant

February 16 - New Information

Sept 18 - Challenges, challenges....