March 16 - Helen and I are having "issues"

"Helen" (the Hickman catheter)* and I were having issues with each other. Jan, a great nurse, has been doing a 'bang up' job of taking care of flushing the catheter and changing the dressing.  However, 2 days ago, one of the lumens decided not to flush well at all.  Yesterday, that lumen would not flush at all.  Calls to Johns Hopkins and they suggested we get to our local hospital.  Warren Memorial Hospital was great from registration to XRAY (to check the placement of the catheter - thanks Beth) to going to Same Day Surgery.  Our nurse, Matt got the orders for CATHFLO (he did a great JOB!).  The CATHFLO was injected into the catheter and was allowed to work over 30 minutes.  This drug is alteplase which is a protein that dissolves clots (used with acute stroke and heart attacks as well).  I kept thinking of PACMAN 'chomping' away at the clot in the tip of this catheter which was preventing flow.


After 30 minutes, reflow was established and flushed with saline and then heparin.  Had this not worked, it would've been a trip to Baltimore.  Prayers answered.

The pericarditis symptoms are better and I haven't had any more atrial fibrillation.  I saw Dr. Anne Kassira this week and she helped validate the treatment plan and get me on a long acting diltiazem (to control/prevent the atrial fibrillation). However, I am very deconditioned.  So, Kipper (our dog) and I wrap up and go on very short walks (but it wipes me out).

The doctors have started coming this week.  Mary Arenberg, MD is our good friend and our patients and staff have been very welcoming to Mary.  We are blessed to have her.

This coming Sunday, there will be a spaghetti dinner fundraiser at Riverton United Methodist Church at 12 noon on March 18th.  You are welcome to come.  This is such a nice thing being done by the adult Sunday School classes at Riverton.  THANK YOU!

The GoFundMe campaign is still active and, again, Jan and I are so thankful for all the support you have given us.

*Helen Hickman Bradd was my grandmother.  In honor of her, I've adopted her name for my Hickman catheter😊

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 28 - Just in - I am going to receive a bone marrow transplant

February 16 - New Information

May 29 - Out of the hospital