August 18 - News on the second bone marrow biopsy

Wednesday, August 16 - My second bone marrow biopsy.  This biopsy was to see how the chemotherapy was affecting my MDS.  Just like the prior biopsy, this was done in Interventional Radiology at Winchester Medical Center.  The staff and doctor were all nice.  This time, however, I actually handled the drill that does the biopsy (a battery power drill like you can get a Lowes/Home Depot that fits in your hand like a simple electric screwdriver!). I was not quite as sedated and I was much more alert after the procedure.  I was still tired though and the nap that afternoon was restful.  There was some minimal discomfort at the site.  However, something happened that night. I am assuming that I have had a response to the chemo and with the biopsy/aspiration: this triggered a rip-roaring case of gout in my left great toe.  It's funny but I never had any gout until this MDS progressed.  I suppose the turnover of cells releases DNA >>> levels of purines go up >>> causing higher levels of uric acid >>> GOUT!  Or as I like to call it "Gouch"!

Friday, August 18 - I received a call just before the football scrimmage I was hobbling over and getting ready to cover as team physician at WCHS.  It was Nick Gemma, my friend and oncologist, who was on the line. He told me he was pleased with the results!  The blast counts were down around or just below 5% (the "cut off" number) and the cells looked more mature in the bone marrow.  Good news!  Even greater news (perhaps) was that he told me that he was going to send me to a national expert on MDS, Doug Smith, MD.  He is at the Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center (this name is ironic since you know my daughter, Erika, is married to Danny Kimmel)!

So what is the next step? EVALUATION (probably all over again, and possibly with another bone marrow biopsy) to be CONSIDERED for a bone marrow transplant.  Then, if we pass that hurdle, the search for a suitable donor.  Then another gauntlet of considerations ('ifs') to get to the actual bone marrow transplant.  Since Johns Hopkins receives NCI (and other research) grants, there are perhaps other research based paths other than standard or 'reduced intensity' bone marrow transplants. Prayers are appreciated...for God to lead/guide me on his path for my life...

Again it goes without saying but will be stated: Your prayers and thoughts that have gone to my family and I to this point with God's grace are felt and appreciated. Your communications, letters, cards, snacks, goodies are tangible and so appreciated!  May God bless you!

Comments

  1. This is uplifting news of hope and prayer! Here's to prayers for the treatment...and cure...that's meant for you! Whatever the outcome of the evaluation, may you find answers with ease. He is keeping you strong, and your strength is admirable and encouraging, Dr. Bradd and family; continuing loving thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts and prayers to you and your fam.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 28 - Just in - I am going to receive a bone marrow transplant

February 16 - New Information

May 29 - Out of the hospital