June 2 - The blessings of infirmity

For the most part I have enjoyed pretty good health (save for a few mishaps along the way).  Last week was rather rough getting my 3rd week of chemo in the past 8 weeks.  However, this disease, myelodysplastic syndrome, has given me cause to reflect on the blessings during this infirm time.  (By the way, I do feel much better this week!)

As I've mentioned, I continue to be overwhelmed by the love and caring of my family, friends and the community. Although some have approached me in a different (but caring) manner...

Some have come up to me and asked, "This is a terrible thing you have.", "Are you OK? You must be devastated!", etc. etc.  Actually, I tell them no, I'm not devastated and all things considered I'm doing fine.

As I'm come to realize over these years, there are lessons to be learned when things don't go as planned.  Life is always precious but seems so much more when you actually stop to think about it. That is a blessing. 

Sure the chemotherapy is no fun but it's like banging your head against a wall... it feels good when you stop!  That is a blessing.

Realizing you are mortal and that you are finite in this world could be demoralizing. However, realizing Christ as your Lord and Savior means that a 'bucket list' is meaningless in the grand scheme of your life on this earth.  Finite becomes, through Christ, infinite.  That is a blessing.

Paul mentioned the blessings he had as a result of his infirmity: "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it [the pain] away from me.  But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12.8-9)

Take care, enjoy life and love those around you...  His grace is sufficient for us

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 28 - Just in - I am going to receive a bone marrow transplant

February 16 - New Information

May 29 - Out of the hospital