March 9 - Time with the oncologist

At Doug Keim's (my primary care doc) urging I called the on-call doc for Shenandoah Oncology.  Nick Gemma, MD was on-call today! To a person, all the oncologists are great but I was so pleased that Nick was able to spend some moments with Jan and I at the end of the day today.  

His demeanor was great, he seem unrushed as he discussed with Jan and I the two leading diagnoses after I brought my CBC, the CBC parameter curves over time, the blood smears and the normal B12 and folate done because of the megaloblastic anemia (along with the thrombocytopenia and the leukopenia - in other words - PANCYTOPENIA). The pancytopenia and the indolent nature of how this presented (feeling tired, not being able to swim well, etc) fit the symptoms.

His two leading thoughts were either:

Large granule lymphocytic leukemia or Myelodysplasia.

Not very comforting possible diagnoses but at least an explanation for the pancytopenia. 

Jan did well through this (she is a strong individual) but I could tell she was trying to not act upset.  I love her so much for caring enough to no appear upset.  Of course, my two daughters (Kristin and Erika) being the loving daughters and caring nurses they are, wanted to know what 'was going on!?".  I told them as best I could and I think Jan spoke with them as well.  My prayers are now taking on new meaning...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 28 - Just in - I am going to receive a bone marrow transplant

February 16 - New Information

May 29 - Out of the hospital