March 13 - Bone Marrow Biopsy

Never thought I would be on the other end of a biopsy needle!  Checked into the Winchester Medical Center interventional radiology suite for this today. The check in by the nurses was professional even if they were challenged with their EHR (EPIC). Having used Practice Partner for so long I have to realize that some EMRs make you work around the EMR (versus the other way around).  Oh well ( thank goodness that is not my problem).  The staff were very professional and quite friendly.  God bless my wife Jan.  She has been a real trooper through this and has been so supportive and loving!

Regarding the procedure: They use a drilling technique which is quite unlike the bone marrow biopsy I used to do which were manual.  I will give them credit for giving me a great anesthesia experience!  They gave me 50 mg of fentanyl and 1 mg of Versed IV as they were getting ready.  I felt a slight pinch from the local anesthesia and I would swear that I was awake through the whole procedure.  However I don't remember hearing a drill but do remember them saying, "we are done!".  Recovery was a breeze and I had a great nap this afternoon.   Flow cytometry and cytogenetics will be done.  Along with the usual pathology slides.  Now the wait begins...     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 28 - Just in - I am going to receive a bone marrow transplant

February 16 - New Information

May 29 - Out of the hospital